Background of the Topic
Recently higher education’s interest in internationalization has intensified. This movement makes majority universities attempt to be a world class university. Universitas Katolik Parahyangan (Unpar) is started to strengthen its process to internationalization. Many activities conducted by Unpar are actions dedicated for global community. Consequently, Unpar has to be aware that the concept of civic education or engagement has broadened from a national focus to a more global one. Unpar also has to realize that civic responsibility extends beyond national borders. This recent trend builds responsibility of Unpar as an institution for higher education, to play a role to increase awareness of the youth to cope with global issues or global problems. This comprehension makes Unpar considering that every people must be a global citizen. Global Citizenship is a concept that is recently popular and respected important. Even though the concept is not a new one, it currently has been widely used by higher education activities or researches. Unpar as an institution for higher education, has accountability to promote and prepare students to contribute positively to the global community. What does it mean? The meaning of global citizenship will be described as following:
1. It is a choice and a way of thinking, in which a national citizen decides to engage in global issues or with different cultures in a local setting.
2. It is a self-awareness and awareness of others, in which a national citizen will build his own self-awareness, to enable him to identify with the universalities of the human experience, thus increasing his identification with fellow human beings and his sense of responsibility toward him.
3. It is a practice of cultural empathy, by which a national citizen sees questions from multiple perspectives and move deftly among cultures—sometimes navigating his own multiple cultural identities, sometimes moving out to experience unfamiliar cultures.
4. It is a cultivation of principled decision-making, which entails an awareness of the interdependence of individuals & systems and a sense of responsibility that follows from it.
5. It is a participation in the social and political life of one’s community, through which a national citizen feels a connection to his communities and translates that sense of connection into participation.
These descriptions of global citizenship are the set attitudes that Unpar finds important to be implanted to all young people, to create their sense of responsibility that they are not only national citizens, but they are global citizens, who are responsible to cope with not only local issues, but also global problems. Therefore Unpar humbly presents a piece of contribution to develop the awareness of youngsters as global citizens by conducting an International Student Conference annually, under the title ‘Global Citizenship’. The main topic of 2016 International Student Conference is “Sustainable Rural Development: Moving towards Inclusive Growth for all”.
Name of the Event
The name of this event is “2016 UNPAR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CONFERENCE ON GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP. THEME: SUSTAINABLE RURAL DEVELOPMENT – Moving towards Inclusive Growth for All.“.
Scope of the Event
This event will gather university students from Indonesia as well as international students from all over the world. The committee expects to gather total of 140 students consist of 70 Indonesian students and 70 international students. All of the participants will learn in series of lectures, express their feelings and share their thoughts in site visits, and also introduced to Indonesian cultures. The conference will involve professors, both international and local students, international organizations, bureaucrats and related NGOs. .
- To raise awareness of the students, to provide forum for knowledge and experience sharing, and to broaden students’ perspectives in seeing sustainable rural development.
- To enhance the soft skills of the participants as well as exposing them of diversity of cultures of the participants to bridge dialogues and build tolerance among participants.
- To provides the platform of internationalization for Unpar’s students, in order to broaden their perspective about global issues around the world.
- To promotes Indonesian’s culture and tourism.
- To promote UNPAR as a good university destination for a student exchange program.
Who Can Participate in the Program and How?
This program is offered to Unpar student and any international student who has strong motivation to improve his/her knowledge on sustainable urban development. It is basically open for both undergraduate and post graduate student from any major of studies. This program is also offered to any partner institution of Unpar as part of the collaboration activities. To participate in this program, the student must submit application for further selection process. Application form can be submitted to international office of Unpar at email@example.com.
Registration Fee for International Participants
Registration fee is only USD 100. It is a commitment fee for the participants and this amount is very much less than the real cost for each participant. Unpar covers the cost by providing subsidy for participants and finding sponsorship from other institutions. The method of the payment will be informed at the Letter of Admission, only for the admitted person.
Qualification of the Participants
- Bachelor degree students, at least from the 3rd semester or master degree students or doctoral degree students,
- open for every study background.
- Minimal GPA 2.5,
- open for every study background
- fluent english proficient.
What We Provide for Participants
After the student is selected, they deserve:
- Pickup and drop off service from Jakarta or Bandung airport
- Sharing accommodation
- Entry ticket to the related cultural activities
- Inland transportation related to program
- Daily breakfast
- Lunch for most activities
- Welcome and closing dinner reception
For student, who joins the whole program will be awarded a certificate of attendance. Credits may be given according to the policy of home university.
APPLICATION and ADMISSION:
Application form for Local Participants
Please download here.
Application form for International Participants
Please download here.
Application for International Participants:
up to 10 November 2015;
Application for Local Participants: up to
21 October 2015;
Admission for International Participants:
15 November 2015
Open Recruitment for Local Participants:
23 October 2015.
Please click here.